- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and heavy cream, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in mozzarella, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat; add cheese sauce to pasta and stir.
- Serve immediately, topped with tomatoes and basil, if desired.